The foundation of the cloister was decreed by the municipality of San Gimignano in 1337 by transferring the nuns coming from the neighbouring monastery of San Vittore and San Niccolò. For almost 7 centuries, the Benedictine nuns of Vallombrosa have resided there. The church, founded in 1337, has undergone, especially on the inside at the sole nave, changes throughout the years and also at the beginning of the 20th century. The high altar is decorated with a beautiful table of Vincenzo Tamagni, signed and dated 1522, depicting the Madonna with child, Saint Giovanni Gualberto, Saint Giovanni Battista, Saint Benedetto and Saint Girolamo. The sepulchral monument with the bust of Sister Fidamonte Malenotti, who died in 1932, is exquisite. In the 13th century, when the neighbouring church of Saint Jacopo al Tempio came under the ownership of the cloister, the brick overpass was built which allowed the nuns to cross the street without being seen.