menu
close
San Salvatore abbey in Fucecchio - Photo ©Mongolo1984
The Abbey of San Salvatore, Fucecchio

Founded by Count Cadolo near the bridge of the Arno, the Church of San Salvatore is mentioned for the first time in a document from 986. Around the year 1000, the church was next to a Benedictine Monastery given by Count Guglielmo Bulgaro to Giovanni Gualberto. In 1106 a disastrous flood from the river destroyed both of the buildings which were then reconstructed in a safer area, on high ground in the surroundings of the Castel of Salamarzana. At the end of the 13th century and after the end of the Cadolingi lineage, the early period of wealth was followed by decline: entrusted to the Franciscans it then passed to the Clarisse who reside there even today. On the exterior there are still visible elements which take us back to the early Medieval period, such as the small lateral arches, the remains of the double arched windows and terracotta arches decorated on the façade and especially the robust bell tower which rises on the posterior side. The current appearance of the church is due in large part to restructuring works and a succession of extensions from the 16th to the 17th century. Inside the church, you can see the unique wide nave built according to the typical Franciscan plan, standing out in Carrera marble the high altar, established in the first decade of the 18th century. From the same period there is the canvas painting above of Christ on the cross with the Madonna, Mary Magdalena and Saint John. The other sides, of Vasari installation, were erected between the end of the 16th century and the start of the 17th century, but they have undergone subsequent changes. On the left side you can find preserved: a wooden crucifix of excellent quality of the unknown master of the 16th century, an object of particular veneration and a rare organ from 1626, the work of the masters from Lucca, Andrea and Cosimo Ravanni.

Source: comune.fucecchio.fi.it

GENERAL INFO
Address
Poggio Salamartano, 50054 Fucecchio FI, Italia
Municipality
Fucecchio (FI)
GPS coordinates
43.728778,10.807623
Opening hours
From 17:00 to 19:00.
Hours for Mass
At 17:00.
Contact person
Clarisse nuns and Priest don Andrea Cristiani
Telephone
0571 20325
Accessibility
No, steps.
CONFESSION
Name (priest, religious figure, monk, nun)
Clarisse Nuns
Address
Via Poggio Salamartano, 4 – 50054 - Fucecchio (FI)
Telephone
0571 20325
Accessibility
no
mapSee the map