Worshipping Saint Agatha in Radicofani began in the mid-eighteenth century, following the destruction of earthquakes that had struck the Radicofani community, leading the townsfolk into poverty and desperation. In August 1727, a small group of brave locals, known as “the fathers”, went to Catania to implore the city’s archbishop to hand over the saint’s relics, famous for having saved from an earthquake in 251.
Having obtained a small fragment of bone, the devout arrived in Radicofani in early November and were welcomed by the rest of the population with a solemn ceremony, in which Saint Agatha was proclaimed the town’s main patron saint.
Symbols of the saint: fleur-de-lis, palm, pincers and breasts. The feast day of Saint Agatha is February 5.