The Holy Mount of San Vivaldo in Tuscany dates to between 1185 and 1280, when the area belonged to the Friars of the Normandy Cross, and was disputed by Castelfiorentino and San Miniato. Its layout is reminiscent of holy mounts found in northern Italy between the 1500s and 1600s.
When the Franciscans entered the old Camporena church, it was still a place of worship linked to Vivaldo Stricchi. In 1325, a chapel in his name was built on the spot where he died, followed by a hermitage. The church we see today was built in 1355.
On May 1, 1500, following the settlement of the Friars Minor, a series of little churches and chapels started to be built, which copied the layout and holy places of Jerusalem. Hence the name “The Jerusalem of Tuscany”. The idea of the Holy Mount derives from Franciscan friars. The reason why the chapels were built was to offer the population the possibility to go on a pilgrimage without going to Jerusalem, which was under Turkish rule at that time, without spending too much money.