The new San Miniato Basso church dedicated to the Transfiguration of Christ was opened in 2009 and was combined with the church dating to 1783, which had proven too small to accommodate all the worshippers and visitors. The new church of San Miniato Basso is oval-shaped around the altar, which is its focal point, situated beneath the large lantern. The idea is to convey God’s embrace of church-goers. The pews (the church can sit up to 400 people) are positioned in a semi-circle and the roof in lamellar wooden beams are used and arrange to convey this effect. The lantern consists of a steel ring covered with a glass structure that protrudes towards the outside of the roof, where the beams converge that feed out on the edges on seven reinforced concrete curves covered in stone from Bethlehem.