The garden is located on the hill of Montecuccoli, belonging to the Mozzi family's property since the 13th century. During the years they enlarged its boundaries by acquiring also some adjacent land that now forms the eastern part of the garden; they terraced the highest part with vineyards and other cultivation and adorned the villa. In the early 14th century, the properties were purchased by the City of Florence because of the economical breakdown of the family, then returned to the family in 1591.
Around 1650 the architect Gherardo Silvani built Villa Manadora on behalf of Francesco Manadori (at that time the garden was parted in two and half of it was Menadori's). The area surrounding the villa was turned into an English wood at the beginning of the nineteenth century. The walkways were adorned with statues, fountains, a cave and a Kaffeehaus (thanks to Luigi Le Blanc, an additional co-owner).